My fight from California back to New Jersey today was uneventful, save for the 20-something in the window seat of my row who had to get up not once but twice during the trip. Like a baby.
Here's the thing: 80% of fliers stay in their seats for the whole trip but the other 20% are up and down the whole time. And 80% of those are in seats surrounding me. Now, okay if you really really have to go, but does one ever really really have to go twice? Here's a thought: maybe when you got done with your visit the first time, you shouldn't have stopped at the galley for a fresh cup of coffee. And if, at the second instance, you have to actually wake up the person in the middle seat to get out, wouldn't you be better off just waiting until you land?
I may have been somewhat less than gracious when the kid woke me up for the second time and perhaps I said something along the lines of "You have GOT to be kidding me!" in a not quiet voice. I notice that the frequent bathroom users are also the ones unwilling to pop a buck for a headset to keep themselves entertained. Coincidence?
Know how many times I go to the restroom on a Newark to LAX flight? None. Know how many time I go to the restroom on Newark to LAX flight that's held at the gate before takeoff and then taxis around waiting for a jetway after landing, making a 5 1/2 hour flight closer to 7 1/2 hours? NONE! Know how I do it?
- I use the restroom at the gate before I board the plane.
- I don't take a 20oz. soda to drink on board with me.
- I take only one small drink when offered the first time and decline any other beverage cart passes.
- I hold it in.
Case closed. It's not that difficult. This is as close as I get to having a superpower.