Act surprised: I spend a lot of time crawling through the listings at eBay.
I rarely buy, I just look. The reason I do it is to recapture my past or to capture a past I think I should have had. Today I took the plunge and bought a vintage headscarf adorned with white horse heads and inscribed "Spanische Holfreirschule Wein" (the Spanish Riding School in Vienna). Behold:
- I am very partial to this shade of green paired with dark blue
- I look very good in green
- women's vintage accessories put me into a trance
- this one was only $9.99 with free shipping
- I can't afford a Hermès scarf
- Once long ago, I bought a similar scarf in Vienna for someone and I didn't buy one for myself and this is what I mean by recapturing the past and $9.99 is cheaper than hypnotic regression.
Now if I could be sure that what I was getting was real perfume and not some phony pisswater substitute, I'd be bidding on some Infini perfume. That perfume was my first purchase with my first paycheck from my first real job. I used it sparingly and owned that infinity-shaped crystal bottle for many years until it met a sad end at the hands of some toddler mixmasters who found their way into my bedroom.
They were girl toddlers, now that I think of it, so I guess it was most likely a privative gender imperative impulse for them to reach out for all those lovely little bottles. One of them is in the room next door to me right now (all grown up). Perhaps I should go mess up some of her stuff. Circle of life!